Love-A-Bull is an outgrowth of the former Austin American Pit Bull Terrier Meetup Group, which was formed in 2003. Since that time, the organizers recognized that the political climate warranted the need for change. As a result, Love-A-Bull achieved 501(c)(3) status in 2008 so that the group could more fully attain its mission and goals.
Love-A-Bull was organized to educate and to advocate on behalf of the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (all breeds commonly referred to as “pit bulls”) and pit bull mixes.
The mission of Love-A-Bull is to promote responsible guardianship and improve the image and lives of pit bull type dogs through education, advocacy, and rescue.
Love-A-Bull regularly hosts fun activities, but its main goal is to promote advocacy and education. Specifically, Love-A-Bull is committed to:
- Educating the public about responsible guardianship of pit bull type dogs;
- Promoting and reviving the positive image of the All-American dog that once was the pit bull;
- Dispelling the many urban myths that have developed regarding pit bull type dogs;
- Fighting against Breed-Discriminatory Legislation (BDL) targeting pit bull type dogs;
- Promoting and supporting the spaying and neutering of pit bull type dogs;
- Providing training and support to the families of pit bull type dogs;
- Working to eliminate dog fighting; and
- Supporting the rescue and re-homing of pit bull type dogs.
Our group is composed of members that live in Austin and the surrounding areas, as well as national members who wish to support our mission. We welcome the support of Proud Pit Bull Parents and others interested in supporting the above ideals and those who will work to further our goals.