A bedrock belief of Love-A-Bull is that responsible guardianship involves a commitment to strengthening the bond between you and your dog. To support our goal of helping all of our members to be model guardians of healthy, happy, well-behaved pit bulls, we offer FREE training to our dues-paying Love-A-Bull members who are proud parents of dogs labeled as “pit bull type dogs” – More information about membership here!
Love-A-Bull partners with three trainers for our community obedience classes, Jessica Wilson, Brandy Lord and Arielle Mirasole.
View Trainer Bio’s
Basics Obedience Class
Class is the beginning stages of obedience training and will covers sit, down, stay, leave it, “watch me”, recall and loose leash walking. Class will cover the 3 D’s in training: distance, duration and distraction in order to begin the process of proofing the taught commands. The class will also discuss how to manage small behavioral challenges such as jumping, mouthing, etc.
Intermediate Obedience Class
Class will briefly review all commands learned in Basic Obedience, but will put a high amount of focus on proofing prior commands by using a higher degree of distance, duration and distraction. The class will also cover how to teach the “place” command. The main goal of this class is to create impulse control and positive choice making in a “real world” environment. In order to be successful in this class, you and your dog should be familiar with the commands mentioned in Basic Obedience and your dog should be able to perform these cues with around a 90% success rate. Slight leeway is given for the recall and loose leash walking, as these commands will still be worked on in the Intermediate Obedience classes.
Advanced Obedience Class:
Class is review of all prior commands taught and moves participants through a mock set up of the Canine Good Citizenship evaluation. Class reviews all 10 assessments that each team will go through during a CGC evaluation. Our goal is to set up each participant and their dog for passing an upcoming CGC evaluation. In order to be successful in this class, your dog should know ( 90% success rate at performing) all cues/commands discussed in the Basic and Intermediate classes, including loose leash walking and recall.
All classes consist of 4 sessions. Classes may not be taken/registered for individually. All classes are taken as a series (typically once a week for 4 weeks). Please see below for information on the most recent details for classes.
Zoom Room (NORTH) » 7739 Northcross Dr, Austin, TX 78757
- Basics » Trainer: Arielle Mirasole » Class Dates: June 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th » Class Time: 6:15-7:15pm
- Status: CLOSED for registration
- Intermediate » Trainer: Arielle Mirasole » Class Dates: June 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th » Class Time: 7:30-8:30pm
- Status: CLOSED for registration
- Advanced » Trainer: TBA » Class Dates: TBA » Class Time: TBA
- Status: CLOSED for registration
How To Register
Please read all information thoroughly and in its entirety.
- Fill out and submit the Love-A-Bull training application. Be sure that you enter all of the required information correctly, including information about membership dues and training deposit payments.
- After submission of your training application, a copy of the new Love-A-Bull agreement and facility waiver for your training class location will be automatically emailed to you. The form is already filled out for you from the information entered in your application. Verify the fields in RED, then print, sign, and date the form. Original signatures are REQUIRED.
- Scan or photograph the signed agreement/facility waiver, attach the PDF or image, and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the waiver and release is submitted you will receive an email confirming that your information has been accepted and reminding you to pay both the membership dues and the training deposit, if you haven’t done so already.
- You must be a dues-paying member of Love-A-Bull to attend training sessions. Dues must be paid each calendar year, and they are $25 per person.
- You must pay a $50 fully REFUNDABLE deposit if you are attending the Basics, Intermediate or Advanced Obedience Classes. For more detailed information on our refund policy please email email@example.com
- You can pay online by credit card or via Paypal or you can mail a check to Love-A-Bull at 2900 W. Anderson Lane, C-200 #304 Austin, TX 78757.
- After the signed waiver is on file and our accounting department has verified current dues and training deposit fees have been paid, you will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org advising that you have a confirmed seat in the upcoming class.Your registration is not final until you receive an email from email@example.com confirming that you have a seat in the upcoming specified class.
What do I need to bring to class the first day?
Below are items that you will need to bring with you the first day of class.
- We strongly recommend your dog be spay/neutered, but this is not mandatory for attending basics/advanced. If your female dog is not spayed, she must not be in heat when attending classes. If your dog is in heat, you will be asked to leave the class and your class deposit will be non-refundable. For more information on getting your dog spay or neutered, please go to our Resources page.
- Bring a martingale collar that fits your dog. (Choke collars, prong collars, gentle leaders and harnesses will not be used during class, unless specifically approved by the trainer prior to classes beginning. If you are currently using any of these tools please bring a martingale collar that fits your dog with you to class and the trainer will help you transition.)
- You MUST bring a 4’ or 6’ leash with you to class. (Absolutely no retractable leashes or chain leashes)
- Closed-toe, closed heel shoes only. No sandals or flip flops.
- Bring plenty of high value treats.
- Please also bring dog waste bags and be prepared to clean up any waste produced by your dog.
- Mandatory vaccinations include: Rabies (within 3 years) & DHLPP.
- Minimum session ages: Dogs under 5 months of age will not be allowed to participate in our obedience classes due to vaccination requirements.
About the Trainers
Jess Wilson is a certified Canine Training and Behavior Specialist. She has been involved with Love-A-Bull from its inception, but began teaching the free training class in 2009. When Jess joined the team, she completely revamped the training program, as well as adding an advanced obedience class tailored towards preparing dogs for the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. She has extensive knowledge in the behavioral science, veterinary and companion animal nutrition fields. Recently, Jess joined the training group at Leaps N Hounds in order to continue with her dream of working full time with dogs. Jess strives to customize her training programs and plans for each individual dog’s needs and limitations. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandy Lord is a Certified Dog Trainer who frequently travels to attend workshops, seminars and conferences on canine body language and behavior modification. In order to hone her skills for specializing in dogs with aggression, separation anxiety and other behavioral issues, she has mentored under multiple renowned dog trainers locally, nationally and internationally. In 2015, Brandy instituted an Intermediate Obedience class into Love-A-Bull’s FREE obedience training, which seeks to further improve the relationship between owner and dog through trust and respect. Brandy is an Associate Member of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP) and sits as the Committee Chair for Love-A-Bull’s Training Team. In addition to teaching obedience classes and working with Love-A-Bull’s foster dogs, she maintains a client base for private training sessions. Brandy can be reached directly at monnensK9training@gmail.com.