A bedrock belief of Love-A-Bull is that responsible guardianship involves a commitment to strengthening the bond between you and your dog. To support our goal of helping all of our members to be model guardians of healthy, happy, well-behaved pit bulls, we offer FREE training to our dues-paying Love-A-Bull members who are proud parents of dogs labeled as “pit bull type dogs” – More information about membership here!
Love-A-Bull partners with three trainers for our classes, Jessica Wilson, Crystal Dunn and Brandy Monnens.
View Trainer Bio’s
Basics Obedience Class
Covers sit, down, stay, leave it, recall and loose leash walking; duration and distraction is also introduced in order to begin proofing the taught commands; class will also cover how to manage small behavioral challenges such as jumping, mouthing, etc.
Intermediate Obedience Class
Class will review all commands learned in Basic Obedience and will add a higher degree of distance, duration and distraction. The class will also cover how to teach the “heel” position and will teach the “place” command. The main goal of this class is to create impulse control and positive choice making in a “real world” environment.
Advanced Obedience Class:
Class is review of all prior commands taught and moves participants through a mock set up of the Canine Good Citizenship evaluation. Class reviews all 10 assessments that each team will go through during a CGC evaluation. Our goal is to set up each participant and their dog for passing an upcoming CGC evaluation.
All classes consist of 4 sessions. Classes may not be taken/registered for individually. All classes are taken as a series (typically once a week for 4 weeks). Please see below for information on the most recent details for classes.
Zoom Room (NORTH) » 7739 Northcross Dr, Austin, TX 78757
- Basics » Trainer: Brandy Monnens » Class Dates: Feb. 28th, March 6th, 13th, 20th » Class Time: 6:15-7:15pm
- Status: OPEN for registration
- Intermediate » Trainer: Brandy Monnens » Class Dates: Feb. 28th, March 6th, 13th, 20th » Class Time: 7:30-8:30pm
- Status: OPEN for registration
How To Register
Please read all information thoroughly and in its entirety.
- Fill out and submit the Love-A-Bull training application. Be sure that you enter all of the required information correctly, including information about membership dues and training deposit payments.
- After submission of your training application, a copy of the new Love-A-Bull agreement and facility waiver for your training class location will be automatically emailed to you. The form is already filled out for you from the information entered in your application. Verify the fields in RED, then print, sign, and date the form. Original signatures are REQUIRED.
- Scan or photograph the signed agreement/facility waiver, attach the PDF or image, and email to email@example.com
- Once the waiver and release is submitted you will receive an email confirming that your information has been accepted and reminding you to pay both the membership dues and the training deposit, if you haven’t done so already.
- You must be a dues-paying member of Love-A-Bull to attend training sessions. Dues must be paid each calendar year, and they are $25 per person.
- You must pay a $50 fully REFUNDABLE deposit if you are attending the Basics, Intermediate or Advanced Obedience Classes. For more detailed information on our refund policy please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can pay online by credit card or via Paypal or you can mail a check to Love-A-Bull at 2900 W. Anderson Lane, C-200 #304 Austin, TX 78757.
- After the signed waiver is on file and our accounting department has verified current dues and training deposit fees have been paid, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com advising that you have a confirmed seat in the upcoming class.Your registration is not final until you receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that you have a seat in the upcoming specified class.
What do I need to bring to class the first day?
Below are items that you will need to bring with you the first day of class.
- We strongly recommend your dog be spay/neutered, but this is not mandatory for attending basics/advanced. If your female dog is not spayed, she must not be in heat when attending classes. If your dog is in heat, you will be asked to leave the class and your class deposit will be non-refundable. For more information on getting your dog spay or neutered, please go to our Resources page.
- Bring a martingale collar that fits your dog. (Choke collars, prong collars, gentle leaders and harnesses will not be used during class, unless specifically approved by the trainer prior to classes beginning. If you are currently using any of these tools please bring a martingale collar that fits your dog with you to class and the trainer will help you transition.)
- You MUST bring a 4’ or 6’ leash with you to class. (Absolutely no retractable leashes or chain leashes)
- Closed-toe, closed heel shoes only. No sandals or flip flops.
- Bring plenty of high value treats.
- Please also bring dog waste bags and be prepared to clean up any waste produced by your dog.
- Mandatory vaccinations include: Rabies (within 3 years) & DHLPP.
- Minimum session ages: Dogs under 5 months of age will not be allowed to participate in our obedience classes due to vaccination requirements.
About the Trainers
Jess Wilson is a certified Canine Training and Behavior Specialist, and AKC approved CGC evaluator. She had been involved with Love-A-Bull from its inception, but began teaching the free training class in 2009. When Jess joined the team, she completely revamped the training program, as well as adding an advanced obedience class tailored towards preparing dogs for the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. Jess strives to customize her training programs and plans for each individual dog’s needs and limitations. Jess is the owner of Austin-based K9 Savvy, through which she offers private lessons, behavior consultations, obedience training, sport training, CGC testing, and adoption consultations. K9 Savvy also offers training discounts to all dues-paying members of Love-A-Bull, and is able to travel to most homes for private lessons. Jess can be reached at email@example.com
Crystal Dunn has taught obedience to all bully breed classes in Houston with great success and has worked with numerous rescues to rehabilitate many abused and neglected dogs. In 2008, she worked with the Conroe Chief of Police as an Adviser to reorganize the Conroe Animal Shelter. This resulted in a complete shelter overhaul with a no-kill agenda, a strong volunteer organization, and the removal of the shelter’s Pit Bull auto-kill policy. Crystal currently owns and trains for Leaps N’ Hounds Pet Care & Training in Austin, TX. She offers private obedience training, behavioral counseling, and CGC Classes and is a certified CGC Evaluator. She and the Leaps N’ Hounds team are proud to be partners with the Love-A-Bull organization and offer training discounts to all dues paying Love-A-Bull members. Crystal can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.leapsnhounds.com.
Brandy Monnens is a Certified Dog Trainer who frequently travels nationwide to attend workshops, seminars and conferences on canine body language and behavior in order to hone her skills for specializing in dogs with aggression and other behavioral issues. She has and continues to mentor under multiple renowned dog trainers locally, nationally and internationally. She is an Associate Member of the International Association of Canine Professionals and sits as the Committee Chair for Love-A-Bull’s Training Team. As a resident of Killeen, TX her services extend from the Killeen/Ft. Hood area to Austin and she can be reached directly at email@example.com.