A bedrock belief of Love-A-Bull is that responsible guardianship involves a commitment to strengthening the bond between you and your dog. To support our goal of helping all of our members to be model guardians of healthy, happy, well-behaved pit bulls, we offer FREE training to our dues-paying Love-A-Bull members who are proud parents of dogs labeled as “pit bull type dogs” – More information about membership here!
Love-A-Bull partners with multiple trainers for our community obedience classes: Brandy Lord, Courtney Timbs and Danny Villanueva.
View Trainer Bio’s
When are new classes?
Due to high demand, our classes fill fast. To be the first to find out when classes are posted, join the Love-A-Bull group on Meetup.com. We post upcoming class details there and will email all our Meetup members so you can grab a spot fast. Please read the registration information below in its entirety before registering.
Basics Obedience Class
Class is the beginning stages of obedience training and will covers sit, down, stay, leave it, “watch me”, recall and loose leash walking. Class will cover the 3 D’s in training: distance, duration and distraction, in order to begin the process of proofing the taught commands. The class will also discuss how to manage small behavioral challenges such as jumping, mouthing, etc.
Intermediate Obedience Class
Class will briefly review all commands learned in Basic Obedience, but will put a high amount of focus on proofing prior commands by using a higher degree of distance, duration and distraction. The class will also cover how to teach the “place” command. The main goal of this class is to create impulse control and positive choice making in a “real world” environment. In order to be successful in this class, you and your dog should be familiar with the commands mentioned in Basic Obedience and your dog should be able to perform these cues with around a 90% success rate. Slight leeway is given for the recall and loose leash walking, as these commands will still be worked on in the Intermediate Obedience classes.
Advanced Obedience Class:
Class is review of all prior commands taught and moves participants through a mock set up of the Canine Good Citizenship evaluation. Class reviews all 10 assessments that each team will go through during a CGC evaluation. Our goal is to set up each participant and their dog for passing an upcoming CGC evaluation. In order to be successful in this class, your dog should know ( 90% success rate at performing) all cues/commands discussed in the Basic and Intermediate classes, including loose leash walking and recall.
All classes consist of 4 sessions and are taken as a series (typically once a week for 4 weeks). Classes may not be taken/registered for individually and we do not offer make-up classes. Due to high demand, we ask that all registrants be available to attend all class dates for the complete time. Please see below for information on the most recent details for classes.
Zoom Room Austin (NORTH) » 7739 Northcross Dr, Ste H, Austin, TX 78757
- Basics » Trainer: TBD » Class Dates: TBD » Class Time: TBD
- Status: Registration now CLOSED
- Intermediate » Trainer: TBD» Class Dates: TBD » Class Time: TBD
- Status: Registration now CLOSED
- Advanced » Trainer: TBD » Class Dates: TBD » Class Time:TBD
- Status: Registration now CLOSED
How To Register
Please read all information thoroughly.
- Fill out and submit the Love-A-Bull training application. Be sure that you enter all of the required information correctly, including information about membership dues and training deposit payments.
- After submission of your training application, a copy of the new Love-A-Bull agreement and facility waiver for your training class location will be automatically emailed to you. The form is already filled out for you from the information entered in your application. Verify the fields in RED, then print, sign, and date the form. Original signatures and date are REQUIRED (electronic signatures will NOT be accepted).
- Scan or photograph the signed agreement/facility waiver, attach the PDF or image, and email to email@example.com
- Once the waiver and release is submitted you will receive an email confirming that your information has been accepted and reminding you to pay both the membership dues and the training deposit, if you haven’t done so already.
- You must be a dues-paying member of Love-A-Bull to attend training sessions. Dues must be paid each year, and they are $25 per person.
- You must pay a $50 fee (fee is refundable less nonrefundable PayPal fees) to attend the Basics, Intermediate or Advanced Obedience Classes. For more detailed information on our refund policy please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must attend all four classes to receive your refund (less nonrefundable PayPal fees).
- Payments can be made online by credit card or via Paypal (Cash/Check payments are not accepted), simply click on the venue below that you are registering at:
- After the signed waiver is on file and our accounting department has verified current dues and training deposit fees have been paid, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com advising that you have a confirmed seat in the upcoming class. Your registration is not final until you receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming that you have a seat in the upcoming specified class.
- If you miss registering for the current classes, please ensure that you join the Love-A-Bull group on Meetup.com. When new class details are made available and when registration is open, we email our meetup members. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND OUT WHEN REGISTRATION IS OPEN FOR NEW CLASSES.
What do I need to bring to class the first day?
Below are items that you will need to bring with you the first day of class.
- We strongly recommend your dog be spay/neutered, but this is not mandatory for attending training. If your female dog is not spayed, she must not be in heat when attending classes. If your dog is in heat, you will be asked to leave the class and your class deposit will be non-refundable. For more information on getting your dog spay or neutered, please go to our Resources page.
- You MUST bring a 4’ or 6’ leash with you to class. (Absolutely no retractable leashes or chain leashes)
- Closed-toe closed heel shoes only. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Bring plenty of high-value treats or your dog’s kibble. DO NOT feed your dog at least 8 hours prior to training classes.
- Bring dog waste bags and be prepared to clean up any waste produced by your dog.
- Mandatory vaccinations include: Rabies (within 3 years) & DHLPP.
- Minimum session ages: Dogs under 5 months of age will not be allowed to participate in our obedience classes due to vaccination requirements.
- We highly suggest that all participants bring their dogs to class with a properly fitted martingale collar. For Love-A-Bull training classes, these are the safest as they do not allow for the dog to slip out (if fitted properly). If you are currently using any other training tool such as a prong/pinch collar, choke chain, harness or gentle leader, you and your dog must be well versed in the application of these tools in order to use them in class. If you are not able to control your dog with these tools, then use a Martingale collar. Please see the video below for an example of a martingale collar, how it is fitted and how it is used.
About the Trainers
Brandy Lord is a Certified Dog Trainer who frequently travels to attend workshops, seminars and conferences on canine body language and behavior modification. In order to hone her skills for specializing in dogs with aggression, separation anxiety and other behavioral issues, she has mentored under multiple renowned dog trainers locally, nationally and internationally. In 2015, Brandy instituted an Intermediate Obedience class into Love-A-Bull’s FREE obedience training, which seeks to further improve the relationship between owner and dog through trust and respect. Brandy is an Associate Member of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP) and sits as the Committee Chair for Love-A-Bull’s Training Team. In addition to teaching obedience classes and working with Love-A-Bull’s foster dogs, she maintains a client base for private training sessions through her business, The Balanced Bond Dog Training. Brandy can be reached directly at email@example.com.
Courtney Timbs began interning with Love-A-Bull’s volunteer dog training team in the fall of 2015. Her passion for canine care has led her to study canine body language and behavior. She has attended multiple seminars and workshops to hone her dog training skills and has found that her favorite aspect of dog training is dog-dog socialization. Currently, Courtney works as a dog trainer and consultant at Taurus Academy and maintains a dog walking service through WAG. She enjoys helping people understand their canine companion and enrich the human-canine bond. Courtney can be reached directly at Cpawsk911@gmail.com.
Danny Villanueva is a Certified Dog Trainer and Behavior Specialist with a passion for helping dog owners have fun with their canine companions while building a strong bond through structure, guidance and leadership. Danny joined Love-A-Bull in 2016 as a volunteer dog trainer and has since taught multiple obedience classes, assisted in meet and greets and taught private lessons for the organization’s Adopt-A-Bulls. Danny’s pack includes a Pug named Nucky, a cat named Polly (adopted from APA!) and a rescued stray cat named Luna. He is an Affiliate Member of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP). Outside of his volunteer work with Love-A-Bull, Danny owns Padded Paws ATX, where he maintains a private client base for board and trains, dog walking and one-on-one lessons. Danny can be reached directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.