LOVE-A-BULL Rescue’s mission is to promote responsible guardianship and improve the image and lives of pit bull-type dogs through community support, education, advocacy, and rescue. We are a foster home-based network, meaning that we are only able to help the number of dogs that we have open foster homes for.
We have some amazing fosters! Please read through the details below and then fill out our foster application.
- The foster commitment:
- Provide a safe, clean, and caring environment, as you would for your own dog
- Provide basic life skills and training as needed and based upon your ability/comfort level
- Keep the dog safe from hazards — for less socialized dogs, this may mean temporary separation from other animals in the house and children, and always crate dog when supervision is not available
- Provide regular updates, and, if possible, photos to foster/adoption lead on the dog’s progress, likes, dislikes, issues, etc.
- Help to make the dog more “adoptable” — this includes basic grooming, proper socialization of their environment, attending the once a month foster training sessions, as well as bringing the foster dog to monthly adoption events (volunteer transports can be arranged if needed)
- If/when possible, transporting the dog to the vet for scheduled visits (volunteer transports can be arranged if needed)
- What we provide:
- Veterinary care
- Support on any questions or concerns that may come up
- Exposure via print, Facebook, web, blog, Craigslist, etc.
- Collar, leash, tags
- IF NEEDED & AVAILABLE: bed, food, toys
- Access to professional trainers through monthly foster training classes and/or one-on-one sessions for escalated behavioral issues if necessary.
- Basic foster rules:
- No dog parks, No off-leash walking
- Having an understanding of proper dog-dog greetings: no nose-to-nose greetings with unknown dogs
- Unless it is a special case, always crate the dog when not home or unsupervised
- Let L-A-B know as early as possible if you’re going away so we may arrange care for the dog
- Go slow with introductions to other family including pets – L-A-B trainers will assist with this; this can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks to fully integrate
- Perks of fostering:
- Fostering is truly a rewarding experience and our families know that they are integral in offering each dog they care for a second chance at a new beginning
- Low-cost training for you and your foster dog
- Read, learn and educate yourself on dog behavior
- Join a community of warm-hearted, committed advocates and dog-lovers
- Adding another dog to your family without the financial or long-term commitment
- A great way to try out various dogs if you’re thinking of adopting
- Fosters we need most urgently:
- Fosters with no other pets
- Fosters willing to crate rotate
- Medical fosters with a quiet home for dogs recuperating
- Regardless, all fosters are helpful — our ability to save lives depends most on how many solid, committed foster homes we have!
What Happens Next?
Glad you asked! When a new dog is to be coming into our program as an Adopt-A-Bull, we will send out an email to all open foster homes letting everyone know the following: age, sex, history (where the dog is coming from, background, etc.), characteristics, behavior with other dogs & cats (to the best of current knowledge), behavior with children (if known), and the type of home our trainer feels he/she may do best in.
After we share this information, if you think this dog might be a good fit for you and your family, please reply to the email expressing your interest. We will then arrange a meet and greet! Just because you have expressed interest in this dog, it does not require you to take him/her. We want to place every dog in a foster home that fits well for both the dog and his/her foster family! Often times we don’t know until we try it! And of course he/she will first have a visit with one of our local veterinarians to receive a checkup, exam, and spay/neuter (if needed) before being released into a foster home.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions!
If you’re interested in meeting one of these lovable pups to adopt, please go to our adoption application page.