Hi, Love-A-Bull family:
It goes without saying that 2020 has been one of the most challenging years our generation has ever seen. Job cuts, the fear of losing family and friends to a global pandemic, of not being able to afford basic veterinary care or even dog food for furry loved ones. But with this year’s heartache has come some good.
At Love-A-Bull, we found ourselves — seemingly overnight — with a few new volunteer members of our Board of Directors (plus Lindsey Ortiz, our seasoned board President at the helm) willing to step in and immediately do whatever we could to help save more pit bull-type dogs. Our mission and vision in the last 12 years since we’ve been a 501(c)3 nonprofit has not changed — but it has evolved. If this year has taught us anything, it’s that rescue never stops.
Looking back today, which happens to be our 12-year anniversary, we’ve accomplished the following in 2020:
- Rescued and successfully adopted out more than 150 pit bull-type dogs across Central Texas and beyond, and counting (by comparison, we had about 40 adoptions in 2019!).
- Of those dogs, about 15 have been heartworm positive, and we’ve been able to treat these worthy pups and get them into forever homes (this is a higher percentage of HW+ dogs than most shelters take in around Austin!).
- Continued to provide assistance to the community via virtual training follow-ups, 1:1 socially distanced home visits, and chipping in on medical cases outside our program when we can.
- Pivoted to virtual events over some of our popular fundraisers we hold each year, including hosting our first-ever online silent auction for National Pit Bull Awareness Month, which raised almost $4,000, and the special merch campaign to go with it that brought in an additional $750!
- Made a dozen new partners in the local and nationwide business community who are passionate about advocating for and rescuing pit bull-type dogs, including those who have been featured on our Shop for a Cause web page for donating back to our lifesaving mission (thank you!).
- Positioned ourselves for more grant assistance now and in the future, including a $20,000 COVID-19 relief grant we received earlier this year to recoup some of the $80,000+ in medical expenses for our Adopt-A-Bulls we’ve incurred due to increasing our intake over 300% in 2020.
Even though it feels difficult to celebrate anything about this year, we can’t help but take a moment to do so right now. For those of you who have been with us on this journey, THANK YOU, from the bottom of our hearts. We cannot do this without you.
We are hopeful that 2021 will be even brighter, for you and your families as well as the thousands of pit bull-type dogs that still need our help. If interested in joining us, we have ways you can assist at the bottom of this email.
Cheers to 12 years, and we can’t wait to see what lucky year number 13 has in store!
Board Treasurer, Love-A-Bull
(and the rest of the LAB board: Lindsey, Sara, Kailyn and Roxy!)
TO ADOPT: View our current list of Adopt-A-Bulls
TO VOLUNTEER: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
TO JOIN OUR SHOP FOR A CAUSE PARTNERS: Email email@example.com